Our Mission:

"The Butte County Probation Department is committed to enhancing public safety through rehabilitation and accountability."






Melissa Romero

Chief Probation Officer
Melissa Romero

Butte County Juvenile Hall

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)


My kid is out of control, what should I do?

Contact Behavioral Health Services and/or the Butte County Probation Department

Behavioral Health, Oroville        Behavioral Health, Chico             Butte County Probation

(530) 538-7705                                   (530) 891-2810                                   (530) 538-7761


What should I do if my child runs away?

Contact your Local Law Enforcement Agency.


What is probation?

Probation is one of the dispositions that a judge can give a minor after finding him or her guilty of the accused crime. While on probation the youth lives at home and is assigned a probation officer who works with the child to make sure he/she can remain successfully in the community and not get arrested again.


What is the difference between parole and probation?

Probation and parole are both alternatives to incarceration. However, probation occurs prior to and often instead of county jail or prison time, while parole is an early release from state prison. In both probation and parole, the party is supervised and expected to follow certain rules and guidelines.


What are my duties as a parent of a child on probation?

As the parent or guardian of a child who is on probation, you have a responsibility to help your child follow the conditions of probation imposed by the court and the Probation Officer to the best of your ability. You have a responsibility to abide by any court orders, including bringing your child to court as directed. Parents need to contribute to the development of their child’s well-being and improved performance.


What is a “VOP”?

“VOP” stands for “Violation of Probation.” A VOP is filed when a child on probation repeatedly does not follow the conditions of his or her supervision and/or gets re-arrested. The Probation Officer prepares a Violation of Probation petition to return the juvenile to Court for further action.


How do I find out my/my child’s court date?

Contact your child’s assigned Probation Officer.


What is the average length of stay at Juvenile Hall?

The average length of stay at Butte County Juvenile Hall is about 14-20 days. But very few youth are incarcerated for that actual time, most are in and out within hours or days, or are even in for months at a time. Those large ranges of detention time are what created the average of 14-20 days.


Where do I get a copy of my child’s police reports?

From your Local Law Enforcement Agency.


How do I ask to have my records sealed?

In California, it is possible to seal juvenile court records for all but very serious offenses.

To ask a court to seal your juvenile record, you must be at least 18 years old or at least 5 years must have passed since your juvenile court supervision ended. Then, your record may be sealed if a court finds that:

  • You have no subsequent criminal convictions for a felony or misdemeanor involving moral turpitude, and
  • You have been rehabilitated.

Your record does not qualify for sealing if you committed rape, murder, robbery, or one of the other serious offenses listed in California Welfare & Institutions Code section 707(b) when you were at least 14 years old. (Cal. Welf. & Inst. Code, § 781.)

To seal your juvenile record, you must file a petition with the juvenile court in the county where your case was handled

Download this document here: Juvenile Hall FAQ PDF
 Meetings & Agendas

Community Corrections Partnership

November 16, 2022

at 9:00 a.m.     

JAG Steering Committee

11-16-2022 10am

In-Person Meeting Location:

DESS Tahoe Room

202 Mira Loma Drive

Oroville, CA 95965

Conference Call:

Phone: 1-866-528-2256

Access Code: 8687435


Minutes and Agendas

 Location Hall

Main Office
Butte County Probation
42 County Center Drive
Oroville, CA 95965

Office Hours:
Monday - Friday
8:00am to 12:00pm
1:00pm to 4:30pm
Excludes Holidays

Probation And Community Services
1370 Ridgewood Drive, Ste. 22
Chico, CA 95973

Juvenile Hall
41 County Center Drive
Oroville, CA 95965

Find us on Google Maps



 Contact Hall

Butte County Probation
Oroville Phone:    530.538.7661
Chico Phone: 530.879.7555

Juvenile Hall
Phone:    530.538.7311

Wayne Barley
Chief Probation Officer


Social Media

42 County Center Drive, Oroville, CA 95965

Melissa Romero
Chief Probation Officer

Facebook  Twitter