Welcome to Butte County

Butte County is a place of natural beauty with countless opportunities for recreation in both rural and urban environments. Many Butte County residents live in one of the five incorporated towns or cities: Biggs, Chico, Gridley, Oroville or Paradise. Butte County government provides services to residents through 23 diverse departments. Services include elections, road maintenance, public safety, solid waste disposal, and health and human services to name a few.

Fire Assistance Center

Residents who suffered damage to homes, accessory structures, or property in the Ponderosa Fire or Wall Fire may come to the Fire Assistance center to meet one-on-one with County staff and ask questions about the process for rebuilding. Many of the forms available in the Fire Assistance Center are also available below.  

Call 530.538.7473 to set up an appointment. 

Hours of Operation: Monday - Friday, 12-3 pm

Fire Assistance Center Location
Butte County Development Services
7 County Center Dr.
Oroville CA, 95965

SBA Disaster Assistance

Low-interest federal disaster loans are available to California businesses and residents affected by the Ponderosa Fire that occurred August 29-September 12, 2017. The filing deadline to return application for property damage is November 27, 2017.

  • Disaster loans up to $200,000 are available to homeowners to repair or replace damaged or destroyed real estate. 
  • Homeowners and renters are eligible for up to $40,000 to repair or replace damaged or destroyed personal property. 
  • Interest rates can be as low as 3.305 percent for businesses, 2.5 percent for private nonprofit organizations and 1.75 percent for homeowners and renters with terms up to 30 years. 
  • Loan amounts and terms are set by SBA and are based on each applicant’s financial condition. 

Applicants may apply online, receive additional disaster assistance information and download applications at https://disasterloan.sba.gov/ela. Applicants may also call SBA’s Customer Service Center at (800) 659-2955 or email disastercustomerservice@sba.gov for more information on SBA disaster assistance. Individuals who are deaf or hard of hearing may call (800) 877-8339. 

Completed applications should be mailed to U.S. Small Business Administration, Processing and Disbursement Center, 14925 Kingsport Road, Fort Worth, TX 76155. The filing deadline to return applications for property damage is September 25, 2017

Removing Fire Debris from the Property

Hazardous Waste Identification and Removal

Ponderosa Fire: Complete Right-of-Entry form by September 29, 2017.

Wall Fire: Complete Right-of-Entry form by September 29, 2017.

Ash, charred debris, and other contaminated materials from burned structures may be hazardous waste. Due to these hazards, the Public Health Department recommends that site cleanup be conducted by appropriately licensed professional contractors. The California Department of Toxic Substance Control (DTSC) will identify and remove hazardous materials from residential properties damaged or destroyed by the Ponderosa Fire and Wall Fire at no cost. 

Residents who want to access the free services will need to complete a Right-of-Entry form to allow the work to take place on their property. Download the form, complete it, and return it to the Fire Assistance Center to participate in the program. Hazardous Waste removal for the Ponderosa Fire will begin on October 2, 2017.

Fire Debris Removal

Butte County established a Debris Management Plan to help property owners properly handle and dispose of fire debris. This Plan includes two options, 1. participate in the County's bin program, or, 2. haul fire debris yourself (fee waiver may apply for disposal). Both options require the affected property to be screened and evaluated for the presence of hazardous materials.

Restoring Power

Safely restoring your electric service is a top priority for PG&E. An application is necessary to request temporary power for construction purposes. Call PG&E at 800.743.5000 for an application.


Short-term camping (14 days in a 30-day period) is allowed with a recreational vehicle, travel trailer, or tent (a maximum of 2 vehicle or tents). No permits are required. All sewage must be self-contained and removed from the property to an approved dump station after 14 days.

Long-term camping (maximum of 6 months in a 1-year period) is allowed only within a recreational vehicle or travel trailer (current DMV registration required). The recreational vehicle or travel trailer must be connected to a permitted septic system, and must have a permitted potable water source on the property. A safe and reliable power supply is required in the form of a PG&E connection, solar power, generator and/or batteries.is allowed with certain requirements. View full list of long-term camping requirements. Call 530.538.7601 with questions.

Well Disinfection and Sampling

Owners of individual wells need to be aware of precautionary measures and how to disinfect and have their well water tested by a certified laboratory after their water system loses pressure. Download Well Disinfection and Sampling Information.

Red Cross

To contact the American Red Cross, call 1-844-236-0153


We have the best community! Thank you for all the donations. The County continues to get calls from people who want to donate to those who lost their homes in the Wall Fire. The County is not collecting donations, but has created a Facebook Thread so those who are collecting donations, those who are in need, or those who want to give can connect. The County in no way recommends, vets, or sanctions any of the comments in this thread. This is simply a place for the conversation to happen.

We continue to be proud and humbled by the generosity of our community in times of need. We have been through a lot, and everyday people have stepped up to care for others when they need it most. Thank you.  

As always, you can support the local community by donating online.


Call 911 for Police, Fire or Medical emergencies.

Child Abuse
800.400.0902 or

24 Hour Domestic Violence Help
800.895.8476 or

Rape Crisis
800.656.4673 or

Elder Abuse

Mental Health Crisis
800.334.6622 or

Victim/Witness Program
530.538.7340 or