Employment and Social Services

Our Mission:  "We administer employment and social services, preserving the dignity of children, families and adults."

Our Vision:  "Partnering for a safe, healthy, and self-reliant community."

Report Elder Abuse or Neglect

Call: 800.664.9774 to report Elder abuse occurring in Butte County

Suspected Dependent Adult/Elder Abuse Form

Suspected Dependent Adult/Elder Abuse Form- FINANCIAL

Fax Suspected Dependent Adult/Elder Abuse forms to 530.538.5093

Report Child Abuse or Neglect

Call: 800.400.0902 to report Child abuse occurring in Butte County.

Suspected Child Abuse Report Form 

E-mail Suspected Child Abuse Report to here

What are the Signs of Elder Abuse?

Physical Abuse: Bodily injury, cuts, bruises, burns, unexplained injuries, physical restraints, evidence of sexual abuse, deprivation of food and water.

Isolation: Preventing receipt of mail, phone calls, visitors, or contact with concerned persons.

Financial: Misuse of funds, unusual activity in bank accounts, checks cashed by others, suspicious changes in ownership, unpaid bills, missing belongings.

Neglect by Self or Others: Inadequate food, dehydration, untreated medical conditions, misuse of medications, unsafe housing.

Abandonment: A dependent adult or elder person who is left alone and is unable to provide for their basic necessities of daily living.

Who Must Report?

State law requires mandated reporters to report on all suspicions of physical abuse, neglect, financial abuse, abandonment, isolation, abduction or other treatment resulting in physical harm, pain or mental suffering.

A mandated reporter is any person who has assumed full or intermittent responsibility for the care or custody of an elder or dependent adult, whether or not that person receives compensation. This includes administrators, supervisors and any licensed staff of a public or private facility that provides care services for elder or dependent adults. Any elder or dependent care custodian, heath practitioner or an employee of a county adult protective services agency or a local law enforcement agency is also a mandated reporter. Knowledge of abuse occurring to an elder or a dependent adult must be reported to APS or a local law enforcement agency.

After a Report is Made

When a report of alleged abuse is received, a Social Worker takes information regarding the nature and extent of the abuse, neglect, exploitation, such as what the reporter saw, why the reporter considers it to be abuse, neglect or exploitation, and does the reporter believe the alleged victim is in immediate danger. If, after consultation with a Social Work Supervisor, it is determined that the report indicates that a dependent adult or elder is being abused, or at risk of abuse, then the following steps maybe taken:

  • Initiate a personal visit with the adult within 24 hours to five working days depending on the risk of imminent danger to the individual.
  • With the consent of the adult, interview the alleged perpetrator if one has been named.
  • Interview collaterals when appropriate (service providers, relatives, neighbor’s, etc.).
  • Discuss with the adult, guardian, conservator, and/or caretaker what actions are needed and, with the adult’s consent, develop service plans or corrective action plans with recommendations to prevent further harm.
  • With the adult’s consent, assist in locating services which are necessary to maintain physical or mental health: i.e. legal services, medical care, appropriate living arrangements, assistance in personal hygiene, food, clothing, adequately heated and ventilated shelter, protection for maltreatment, and transportation.
  • Provide advocacy to assure protection or personal rights.

Adult Protective Services Contact


Apply for Benefits  Jobs  Medical Coverage

Veterans Services  Report Abuse  Popular Links

 Contact DESS

24-Hour Emergency Numbers
Children's Services - North County
Children's Services - South County
Adult Services - Countywide

Customer Service Center

Family Urgent Response System

Butte 211
Dial 211 or Butte211.org

Full list of DESS contacts

 Locations & Hours

Customer Service Center
877.410.8803 (phone only)
Monday - Friday
7:30am to 4:30pm

Excludes Holidays

Butte Community Employment Center - Chico
765 East Avenue
Chico, CA 95926

Butte Community Employment Center - Oroville

78 Table Mountain Blvd.
Oroville, CA 95965

Butte County Community Services Center
7204 Skyway
Paradise, CA 95969

Office Hours
Monday - Friday
8:00am - 4:30pm 

Excludes Holidays

Full list of DESS locations.


Public Assistance Overpayment
More information about overpayments and notices of overpayment.

Apply for Service Online
Go to C4Yourself.com
Apply in person at one of the Butte Community Employment Centers

Register to Vote Online

Employment and Social Services

202 Mira Loma, Oroville, CA 95965

Shelby Boston
Director/Public Guardian/Public Administrator

Careers with DESS

California Department of Social ServicesCalifornia Department of Social Services
744 P Street, Sacramento CA 95814