Employment and Social Services

Our Mission:  "We administer employment and social services, preserving the dignity of children, families and adults."

Our Vision:  "Partnering for a safe, healthy, and self-reliant community."

Foster Care

When a child cannot safely remain in his or her home while the child and other family members receive child welfare services, the child will be removed from the home and placed in out-of-home care. Depending on the care and service needs of the child, he/she may be placed in the home of a relative (i.e., kinship care), a Resource Home, an approved resource home through a Foster Family Agency (FFA), or a Short Term Residential Therapeutic Placement (STRTP).

While a child is in out-of-home care, efforts are made to prevent further abuse or neglect. County social workers arrange for services to be provided to the parent(s), the children and other family members to reduce the risk of further abuse/neglect and reunite the children with their families. Unfortunately, many children may not be reunited with their families. In these instances, the children remain in foster care until permanency is achieved (e.g., the children are freed for adoption or guardianship is established), or until they emancipate at age 18.

Children remaining in foster care at age 16 or older may receive Independent Living Program services and activities to help them in the transition from foster care to independent living. In addition, some foster youth aged 17 can participate in a Transitional Housing Placement Program (THPP). This program allows the placement of 17 year-old youth involved with the Independent Living Program in supervised apartment-type settings to prepare for emancipation from foster care.

How To Get Help

Contact the Department of Employment and Social Services to make inquiries about becoming an approved Resource Parent or if you are a parent looking for temporary placement services.

Apply for Benefits  Jobs  Medical Coverage

Veterans Services  Report Abuse  Popular Links

 Contact DESS

24-Hour Emergency Numbers
Children's Services - North County
Children's Services - South County
Adult Services - Countywide

Customer Service Center

Family Urgent Response System

Butte 211
Dial 211 or Butte211.org

Full list of DESS contacts

 Locations & Hours

Customer Service Center
877.410.8803 (phone only)
Monday - Friday
7:30am to 4:30pm

Excludes Holidays

Butte Community Employment Center - Chico
765 East Avenue
Chico, CA 95926

Butte Community Employment Center - Oroville

78 Table Mountain Blvd.
Oroville, CA 95965

Butte County Community Services Center
7204 Skyway
Paradise, CA 95969

Office Hours
Monday - Friday
8:00am - 4:30pmĀ 

Excludes Holidays

Full list of DESS locations.

Employment and Social Services

202 Mira Loma, Oroville, CA 95965

Shelby Boston
Director/Public Guardian/Public Administrator

Careers with DESS

California Department of Social ServicesCalifornia Department of Social Services
744 P Street, Sacramento CA 95814