How do I ask to have my records sealed?

In California, it is possible to seal juvenile court records for all but very serious offenses.

To ask a court to seal your juvenile record, you must be at least 18 years old or at least 5 years must have passed since your juvenile court supervision ended. Then, your record may be sealed if a court finds that:

  • You have no subsequent criminal convictions for a felony or misdemeanor involving moral turpitude, and
  • You have been rehabilitated.

Your record does not qualify for sealing if you committed rape, murder, robbery, or one of the other serious offenses listed in California Welfare & Institutions Code section 707(b) when you were at least 14 years old. (California Welfare & Institutions Code, § 781.)

To seal your juvenile record, you must file a petition with the juvenile court in the county where your case was handled.

Show All Answers

1. My kid is out of control, what should I do?
2. How do I ask to have my records sealed?
3. How do I find out my/my child’s court date?
4. What are my duties as a parent of a child on probation?
5. What is a “VOP”?
6. What is probation?
7. What is the average length of stay at Juvenile Hall?
8. What is the difference between parole and probation?
9. What should I do if my child runs away?
10. Where do I get a copy of my child’s police reports?