Reports are made by either of the following:
- Concerned citizens
- Mandated Reporters
The law requires mandated reporters to make a verbal report immediately or as soon as possible, but within 24 hours, followed by a written report within 2 days.
- Any person who has assumed full or intermittent responsibility for care or custody of an elder or dependent adult, whether or not that person receives compensation
- Administrators, supervisors, and any licensed staff of a public or private facility that provides care or services for elder or dependent adults
- Any elder or dependent adult care custodian
- Health practitioners
- Clergy member
- County welfare departments
- Law Enforcement and Fire departments
- Any other protective, public, sectarian, mental health, private assistance or advocacy agency or person providing health services or social services to elders or dependent adults
- Financial institutions when suspecting financial abuse
Mandated Reporter Training Information
This training is recommended for all employees of public and private care facilities, for health care workers, members of the clergy, employees of financial institutions, law enforcement personnel and anyone with full or intermittent responsibility for the care and custody of an elderly or dependent adult.
You can find the free Mandated Report Training online. For more information about the requirements for a Mandated Reporters please visit the CA Adult Protective Services page.