Mobile Home Title Changes

Changing Title / Ownership of a Mobile Home

In order to change the title / ownership of your mobile home, you will first need to contact the Department of Housing and Community Development (H.C.D.). They will send you a packet of information and a list of the documentation necessary.

Department of Housing & Community Development, Registration & Titling

  • Physical Address:
    2020 W El Camino Avenue, Suite 200
    Sacramento, CA 95833
  • Mailing Address:
    P.O. Box 2111
    Sacramento, CA 95812-2111
  • Telephone Number(s): 916-263-5420 or 800-952-8356
  • Website Address

Mobile Home Tax Clearance Certificate

Since your mobile home is currently on the tax roll, one of the documents you will be required to provide to H.C.D. is a Mobile Home Tax Clearance Certificate. This is issued by the Treasurer-Tax Collector's Department and is valid for 60 days. There is no cost for the initial certificate, but a $25 fee is charged for reissued documents. Therefore, we recommended that you wait until after you receive the packet from H.C.D. before requesting the original tax clearance. All current and delinquent taxes must be paid before a Tax Clearance Certificate can be issued. In addition, estimated taxes for the next tax year will be collected, when warranted, based on current assessed values.

Tax Clearance Request Form (PDF)