The County is divided into three collection areas for waste with one hauler exclusively serving each area:
- Waste Management (WM), shown in green, will serve the northwest area of the County. Call Waste Management at 866-825-7190.
- Northern Recycling & Waste Services (NRWS), shown in yellow, will serve the Paradise Ridge area. Call NRWS at 530-876-3340.
- Recology, shown in blue, will serve the southern portion of the County. Call Recology at 530-533-5868.
City services will remain unchanged. Visit our Find Waste Hauler Page to search the map and find your hauler.
- Why were collection areas established?
In order for the County to have an effective program to manage waste and recycling programs and services, the County initiated a comprehensive study of services provided by the County's three waste and recycling collection companies already operating under one-year renewable permits. The study concluded that there was an opportunity for the County to require more accountability of the collection companies, more services to be provided, and to reduce the number of heavy collection trucks impacting roads and neighborhoods. A recommendation was presented to create three collection service areas in the unincorporated area of the County and to issue three franchises for waste and recycling services. The franchise service areas, also called collection areas were created based on the number of customers each collection company had at the time the franchise service study was completed. Waste Collection is subscription based and is not mandatory. Collection services available vary by geographical area and if you are located inside or outside a Recycling Zone. Visit the Find Waste Hauler page to search the map to see collection areas, find your hauler, and see if you property is in a recycling zone.
- How do I find my hauler?
Starting March 1, 2015, the unincorporated area of the County will be divided into three collection areas and one company will service each of the three areas exclusively. Visit the Find Waste Hauler page to search the map to find your waste hauler and see the rates for your area. City services will remain unchanged.
- Waste Management (WM) will serve the northwest area of the County; for all other questions call: 530-893-4777.
- Northern Recycling and Waste Services (NRWS) will serve the Paradise Ridge area; call NRWS at 530-876-3340.
- Recology will serve the southern portion of the County; call Recology at 530-533-5868.
- Butte County Public Works; call Valerie Meza, Recycling Coordinator: 530-552-5705.
- Do you take mattresses?
Yes, mattresses and box springs are free of charge. They must be uncontaminated, no bed bugs or biohazards.
- I just purchased a home and there's a lot of old paint and house hold cleaners in the garage. What should I do?
In Chico you can take them to the Butte Reginal Household Waste Facility, located at 1101 Marauder Street, Friday, 9 am to 1 pm and Saturday, 9 am to 4 pm.
In Gridley you can take them to Ord Ranch Transfer Station, located at 119 Ord Ranch Road. Open weekends for general waste but accepts antifreeze, batteries, oil, paint and e-waste the 2nd Sunday of every month from 9 am to 4 pm.
In Oroville, Recology of Butte, Colusa Counties, Located at 2720 South 5th Avenue, the 1st and 3rd Friday of the month from 9 am to 4 pm.
- Does the landfill take e-waste?
Yes, we take small e-waste for free, Florescent lights up to up to 32 lineal feet for free, large e-waste exceeding 24 inches - VCRs, microwaves, stereos, copiers, computer servers for a fee of $0.24 per pound.
- Do you take appliances?
Yes, we take all appliances - washers, dryers, water heaters, stoves. There is a fee of $6 per item.
- Do you take motorcycles or golf carts?
No, we do not take any kind of motorized vehicle.
- What is a Recycling Zone?
There are six recycling zones throughout the unincorporated area of Butte County. Recycling Zones were created based on the density of residential dwellings (homes per mile) that is similar to incorporated cities. Higher density equates to greater collection efficiency allowing for additional collection programs like recycling and yard waste collection to be provided at a low cost. Recycling zones include the three-cart service (trash, recycling, yard waste). Visit the Find Waste Hauler page to search the map to see if your property is in a recycling zone.
- Zone 1 (RZ1) - Durham
- Zone 2 (RZ2) - Magalia
- Zone 3 (RZ3) - South Oroville
- Zone 4 (RZ4) - Thermalito
- Zone 5 (RZ5) - Kelly Ridge
- Zone 6 (RZ6) - Chico, sphere of influence
- Do you recycle at the landfill?
Yes. We have a cardboard only and mixed recycling roll off containers to collect recyclables. The mixed recycling includes plastics #1 through 7, newspapers (must be tied), and aluminum.