Probation Process

My Child Has Been Arrested, What Happens Now?

One of two things will happen immediately after a child’s arrest:

  • The youth will be released immediately after arrest or citation. This is called non-detention/cite and release. Or
    • In this case, the minor will be contacted by a Probation Officer for further instruction. An Out of Custody Referral may be made to the District Attorney (DA) by the Probation Officer. A youth may also be referred to community-based programs as an alternative to formal court action.
  • If a youth is transported to the Butte County Juvenile Hall, they will go through an intake process and be booked into the facility. A review of the offense, police report, and assessment score using the Detention Risk Assessment Instrument (DRAI) will determine whether the youth will remain in custody pending further review.

Following detention, the Probation Officer may decide to release the youth on Home Supervision Agreement (HSA) This HSA is an agreement to attend court hearings  and abide by other probation terms. If the agreement is violated, the youth may be re-detained. Link to Home Supervision Agreement.

Juvenile Court Process

Juvenile Court Process Diagram

What to Expect While Being Supervised

When a juvenile is placed on formal probation by a juvenile court judge, the youth will be supervised in the community by a probation officer who will make regular contact with the youth at their home, school, or work. Youth may also be required to perform community service, pay restitution, and participate in rehabilitation programs, in addition to maintaining a law-abiding lifestyle.

Paying Restitution

Juvenile probationers may be ordered to pay restitution to the victim as a condition of probation. They may also be ordered to pay court fees, fines, and costs for detention or commitment in a juvenile institution. Youth and their parents are accountable for payment of restitution for the crimes committed.

Restitution payments ordered by the Court are paid through the Butte County Treasurer-Tax Collector in the Central Collections Division. They may be reached by phone at 530-538-7362or by visiting the Treasurer-Tax Collector page.

How Do I Contact My Child’s Probation Officer?

To contact your child’s Probation Officer or to receive further information about Juvenile Probation, please contact the Butte County Probation Department at 530-538-7395 or 530-538-7661.