Use your Library anywhere, any time.
Live in Butte County but don’t have a library card?
Good news! Butte County residents can now get an e-Card to access our e-Resources without first having to visit a library branch. e-Card provides you access to the following resources:
- e-Media: Access to eBooks, Audiobooks, Comics; stream Movies, Music, and TVs.
- Research & Education: Browse catalog; access to Britannica, ProQuest, WorldBook, Testing & Education Reference Center, and other databases and career tools.
- And more!
Head over to our online catalog to Get an e-Card. You will receive your Username and e-Card Number by email within one (1) business day after successful registration.
Butte County Library offers the following services to download items directly to your device:
- Libby|Overdrive Website - eAudiobooks and eBooks
- Enki Library - eBooks
- Hoopla - Movies, TVs, and Comics.
Need help getting started? See our help guides!
The Palace Project
All the library’s eBooks in one app!
Tired of searching multiple eBook apps for the title you want? Download Palace, and search all the library’s collections in one app. Search, browse, download and read, across all the library collections, all in one seamless experience.
Instantly borrow movies and TV shows with your library card!
3-Step Sign-up for Hoopla
the app or go to hoopladigital.com.
with your library card.
free digital movies and TVs with no late fees!
SimplyE - Library eBooks Made Simple
Read eBooks from all of our collections in one app - no multiple accounts and apps any more!
Browse 130,000+ eBooks, from bestsellers to classics
Get it on the App Store or Google Play
Learn anything, anywhere, 24/7 with just your library card.
Overwhelmed by the large selection of learning opportunities? Want an easier way to find what you need?
All eLearning. All together. All one place.
Bendable is a free collection of online learning resources. Butte County Library users of all ages can use Bendable to acquire new knowledge and skills through online courses, in-person events, and other learning resources. Bendable learning resources bring together online options for lifelong learning to help you get the skills you're seeking. Whether it's learning practical job skills like software development or creative pursuits like photography, our collections have something for your learning interests.
Homework Help and Tutoring
All California residents now have access to Brainfuse HelpNow free online tutoring. Students communicate with live tutors using an interactive whiteboard to chat, write, draw, copy/paste text or images, and graph homework problems. Live tutors are available 24 hours a day via any device that connects to the internet. Brainfuse offers assistance in math, science, language arts, and other core K-12 subjects in English, Spanish, Mandarin, Cantonese, Vietnamese, and Tagalog.
HelpNow's features include:
- Homework Help: Interact with live tutors in math, science, reading/writing, social studies, PSAT/SAT, ACT, AP and state standardized tests.
- Skills-Building: Choose your topic to receive real-time help.
- Personalized eLearning Tools: My File Sharing, My Session Replay, My Tutoring Archive, My Tests Archive, and more!
- 24-Hour Writing Lab: Submit essays and other forms of writing for constructive feedback.
- Homework Send Question: Submit homework questions for expert guidance.
- Adult Learning Center: Access a library of rich adult learning content (GED) and live, professional assistance in resume/cover letter writing, U.S. citizenship prep, MS Office Essential Skills Series, and more!
- Foreign Language Lab/Spanish-Speaking Support
- Brainfuse VetNow - Connect with an expert to learn more about eligible VA benefits and community resources.
- Gale Presents: Petersons Test and Career Prep (formerly TERC) - Digital exam and career prep resources can help students and users be better prepared down the road for both college and their career. Discover comprehensive test prep and career solutions from Peterson's, a world-leading educational provider.
- Also check out our eLearning resources for job help, learning skills, certifications, and entertainment.
- USA Learns - Learn English online for free! Prepare to become a U.S. citizen! USA Learns offers beginning and intermediate lessons. Video lessons, 1000s of activities. English lessons include practice speaking and listening, pronunciation, vocabulary, reading, writing and grammar. New Citizenship class prepares you for everything from eligibility and application, civics and history test questions to the final interview.
- Northstar Digital Literacy - Northstar Digital Literacy defines basic skills needed to perform tasks on computers and online. Online, self-guided modules assess the ability of individuals to perform tasks based on these skills.
Butte County Newspaper Collection by UC Riverside (free in-library use)
- The New York Times - Butte County Library is offering patrons complimentary access to The New York Times.
To access NYTimes in the library:
1. Visit a library branch
2. Log on our public computers or connect your devices to the library's public Wi-Fi
3. Log in or register at nytimes.com/register to start enjoying
To access NYTimes from home:
1. Redeem a 72-hour access code.
2. Login or Register
- NewsBank Presents: America's News, HeritageHub & Black Life in America
- Access World News: Explore and stay informed on local, national and international topics, people and events with information from credible, vetted U.S. and global news sources.
- Black Life In America: The experience and impact of African Americans as recorded by the news media, 1704 to today.
- Heritage Hub: Explore genealogical records from 1704 – today, including hard-to-find obituary content from the mid 1900’s, coverage from all 50 states, and original obituary images from historical newspapers.
Access World News and Black Life in America: Explore and stay informed on local, national and international topics, people and events in areas such as business, health, education, jobs and careers, political and social issues and more. Features a wide variety of credible, vetted news sources from around the world to around the corner.
HeritageHub: Explore genealogical records from 1704 through today, including hard-to-find obituary content from the mid 1900's, coverage from all 50 states, and original obituary images from historical newspapers.
Learn how to navigate NewsBank:
Looking for a copy of Newspaper Article or Obituary?
Print copies of local newspapers are kept at library branches for 6 months, after which they can be viewed on microfilm. Butte County Library also maintains microfilm collections of historic Butte County Newspapers back to 1854.
Unable to Come Into a Branch?
Fill out our online Obituary/Newspaper Article Request Form. An Obituary/Newspaper Article Request Form (PDF) version of this is also available for download if you prefer to mail it in.
- California Research Bureau Reports - Independent research and analysis developed for California State policymakers.
- MedLine Plus - Reliable, up-to-date health information.
- ProQuest Databases
- ProQuest Academic - Diverse content types needed by researchers, providing the world’s largest collection of scholarly journals, books, videos & audio, dissertations & theses, newspapers and more.
- ProQuest CultureGrams - Concise cultural information on countries around the world.
- ProQuest eLibrary - General reference aggregation of periodical and digital media content with editorial guidance for novice researchers. Two unique interfaces available.
- ProQuest SIRS Discoverer - Selected content for novice researchers, especially elementary and middle school students and educators.
- ProQuest SIRS Issues Researcher - Curriculum-aligned database of content organized by complex issues, ideally for middle and high school students and educators.
- ProQuest Research Companion – (Log in to your Library Account to see access information) Information literacy tools and tutorials to help develop critical thinking.
- ProQuest School & Educators Complete - (use Library Card Number to sign in) eBook subscription database (over 12,000 titles) to support multiple subject areas (English Language Arts, Science, Math, Social Studies, Health, Physical Education, Information Literacy and Technology).
- American Physical Society Journals
- American Physical Society Journals (In-library access)
- Physical Review A - atomic, molecular, and optical physics
- Physical Review B - condensed matter and material physics
- Physical Review C - nuclear physics
- Physical Review D - particles, fields, gravitation and cosmology
- Physical Review E - statistical, nonlinear and soft matter physics
- Reviews of Modern Physics - in-depth articles all topics in physics
- Physical Review Special Topics - Accelerators and Beams
- Physical Review Special Topics - Physics Education Research
- PROLA, the Physical Review Online Archive - archive of APS journals back to 1893
- Physics, highlighting significant papers from APS journals
- Focus, selected papers from APS journals explained for students and other researchers
- Physics Central, educational and informational site about physics for students and the public
- Physical Review Letters - brief important papers all topics in Physics
- Encyclopedia Britannica
- Britannica School Edition - Britannica School is the go-to site for learning more about any subject - for all grades and all reading abilities - offering thousands of up-to-date, curated, and curriculum-relevant articles, images, videos, audio clips, primary sources, maps, research tools, recommended Web sites, and three separate databases - Elementary, Middle, or High.
- Britannica Escolar - Escolar is the leading knowledge-building resource that is universally trusted for accurate and age-appropriate content in Spanish.
- Britannica School Edition - Britannica School, a safe, up-to-date, and age-appropriate information resource for Elementary, Middle, and High School. Discover encyclopedia articles, multimedia, primary sources, games, and other learning resources that support student research and reinforce curriculum standards.
- TeachingBooks.net - Books come to life with this engaging collection of resources!
- World Book Online: Access World Book Online for Kids, Timelines, Reference Center, InfoFinder, Enciclopedia Estudiantil Hallazgos and Hispanica Saber.
- Also check out our eLearning resources -- there are things for Kids to learn with these too!
Need help getting started? See our help guides!
Get In Touch
- View our eResources Help Guides.
- Can't find a book to download or have a suggestion? Email us at [email protected] .
- Submit a Ticket if you encounter any issues with e-Resources.
- Visit hoopladigital.com/help for help with Hoopla.