Report a Found Pet

  • If you find someone's lost pet, it's very helpful if you are able to bring it directly to a local animal shelter. Many pet owners contact them first to inquire about their lost animal. If the animal was found within the unincorporated area of Butte County, you may bring the animal to the shelter at the:
    • Northwest SPCA
      2787 S, 5th Avenue
      Oroville CA 95965
    • There are no fees associated with this service. If you are unable to transport the animal, please call Butte County Animal Control at 530-538-7409
  • Temporarily housing a stray animal is extremely helpful. Many lost animals are frightened and prone to run into traffic. They need your help to ensure they are safe and to help them return home. You can file a "Found" pet report with the local animal shelters listed below. Please have available any information from the animal's tags, if applicable, along with a full description of the animal, and the location where it was found. This information may assist in locating the owner.
  • If the animal was found within the unincorporated area of Butte County and you decide to temporarily house the animal until the owner is found, complete the Butte County Animal Control Found Animal Report (PDF) and fax it to 530-538-6329. You can also call Butte County Animal Control during business hours and file a found report by phone.
  • Post "Found Pet" flyers in the neighborhood or area where the animal was found. Flyers can also be posted online and an ad can be placed in the local newspaper. Found Pet flyers can also be mailed, faxed, or emailed to the local shelters listed below.
  • Have the animal scanned for a microchip. Many veterinarians, pet stores and animal shelters have microchip scanners to assist with this process.

Local Animal Agencies & Veterinarians