Interlibrary Loan & Zip Program
- Can I borrow an item that is not owned by the Butte County Library?
Yes, there are 2 options for fulfilling your request.
Note: If the item(s) are available at any of our branches, you can put it on hold from our online catalog and they will be sent to your branch. These 2 options are not available for items owned by Butte County Library.
- We can try to borrow these items for you from other libraries across the U.S. This service is called Interlibrary Loan (ILL) and is available to Butte County Library patrons with library cards in good standing. Each library patron is entitled to place requests for 12 items per year free of charge. Subsequent Interlibrary Loan requests will be processed for a non-refundable fee of $32 per requested item.
- Butte County Libraries are also part of a project funded by the Library Services and Technology Act (LSTA) called Zip Books which allows the Library to purchase the item you request through Amazon and shipped directly to the patron's home. This project is an alternative to traditional Interlibrary Loan.
- How do I make a request?
There are several ways to submit a request:
- You may log in to the library catalog with your library card number and PIN. Click on "Your purchase suggestions" and create a new purchase suggestion.
- You can request items by telephone at 530-552-5652,
- You can request items by email
- You can request items by visiting us in-person at any Butte County Library branch.
To request an eBook, send us an E-Book Request Email.
- What kind of items can be requested?
- Interlibrary Loan
- You may request, DVDs, music CDs, books, photocopies of periodicals, and census microfilm from Interlibrary Loan. eBooks are not eligible for Interlibrary Loan.
- Zip Books
- You may request most regular print, large print or audiobooks from the Zip Books program. DVDs and music CDs are not eligible for Zip Books.
- Interlibrary Loan
- Is there a charge for Interlibrary Loan or Zip Books?
The first 12 requests placed per year are free; subsequent requests will be placed for a fee of $32 per item. Fees are due at the time the request is placed and are non refundable even if the requested item becomes unavailable. There are no fees for requesting or receiving a Zip Book.
- How long will it take to receive my Interlibrary Loan or Zip Book?
Please allow a minimum of three weeks for an Interlibrary Loan. It may not take that long but faster service cannot be guaranteed. We need to find a library that owns the item, is willing to lend it, and where it is not checked out to another borrower.
Zip Books generally arrive within one or two weeks of us ordering the item. It may not take that long but faster service cannot be guaranteed.
- What happens if my Interlibrary Loan or Zip Book request cannot be filled?
Every effort will be made to fill each request placed; however, circumstances change and occasionally items become unexpectedly unavailable. In this instance, the request placed will still be deducted from the 12 free allowed per year. Any associated fees that have been paid are nonrefundable. If your request is ineligible for Zip Books we will try to fill the request through Interlibrary Loan.
- How do I get my Interlibrary Loan or Zip Book?
Interlibrary Loan: You will be notified by either our automated email notification or phone notification system. You will have 7 days to pick up your item(s) at the library.
Zip Books: Purchases will be sent to your address from Amazon. You will be notified when we purchase it via email notification and the item will be checked out on your account. If you do not want the Zip Book to come to your address, or your address cannot accept packages, you can request to have the item be mailed to one of our branches for you to pick up.
- How long can I keep an Interlibrary Loan item?
The lending library determines the length of the loan. You will not be able to renew it, and it is important that the items are returned on time. Otherwise, we may lose borrowing privileges from the lending library.
- How long can I keep a Zip Book item?
Zip Books are checked out to you soon after we order them. They have a 6-week checkout and can be renewed if the item doesn't have a hold (you can now place holds on any of them!). Make sure to return them on time to avoid having an overdue book on your account.
Please return the book to a staff member at the desk (with the Amazon packing slip, if possible) to any of our six locations. Please, do not return Zip Books in the Book Returns - There are no library labeling, they look like donations.
- Can I place holds on Zip Books?
Yes, you can! Starting Sept. 2023, you will be able to place holds on Zip Books which other patrons have requested. You can search for 'Zip Books' in our catalog and request them just like any other book. There is no limit to the number of Zip Books you place on hold.
- What are these colored bands on my items?
Items from libraries outside the Butte County Library system wear an identifying paper band. The band helps us both - you and the Library - to keep track of these special items. To ensure safe return of the material, please do not remove the band.
- Can you tell me more about the Zip Books Project?
The goal of the Zip Books Project is to expand the use of an alternative model for interlibrary loan service that, over time, has proved cost effective, easy to use, and extremely popular with the public. The project started in 2013 with 15 libraries; currently over 68 library jurisdictions across the state are participating, with more being added all the time.
The Zip Program is supported in whole or in part by funding provided by the State of California, administered by the California State Library.