Foster Care

woman sitting on floor with younger child reading a book in bedroomWhen a child cannot safely remain in his or her home while the child and other family members receive child welfare services, the child will be removed from the home and placed in out-of-home care. Depending on the care and service needs of the child, he/she may be placed in the home of a relative (i.e., kinship care), a Resource Home, an approved resource home through a Foster Family Agency (FFA), or a Short Term Residential Therapeutic Placement (STRTP).

While a child is in out-of-home care, efforts are made to prevent further abuse or neglect. County social workers arrange for services to be provided to the parent(s), the children and other family members to reduce the risk of further abuse/neglect and reunite the children with their families. Unfortunately, many children may not be reunited with their families. In these instances, the children remain in foster care until permanency is achieved (e.g., the children are freed for adoption or guardianship is established), or until they emancipate at age 18.

Children remaining in foster care at age 16 or older may receive Independent Living Program services and activities to help them in the transition from foster care to independent living. In addition, some foster youth aged 17 can participate in a Transitional Housing Placement Program (THPP). This program allows the placement of 17 year-old youth involved with the Independent Living Program in supervised apartment-type settings to prepare for emancipation from foster care.

How to Get Help

Contact the Department of Employment and Social Services to make inquiries about becoming an approved Resource Parent or if you are a parent looking for temporary placement services.