Apply for STR Administrative Permit

Short-Term Rental Application

Apply for a Short-Term Rental Administrative Permit

Ordinance Number 4159 (PDF) (effective April 25, 2019) requires anyone operating a short-term rental in unincorporated Butte County to apply for an administrative permit from the Department of Development Services. A short-term rental is defined as follows:

Short-Term Rental. A single-family dwelling, or a portion of a single-family dwelling, that is rented to transient guest occupants typically for periods of 30 days or less, with weekend or weekly rental periods being the most common. Short-term rentals are routinely booked for numerous periods throughout the year, with a property manager providing oversight and services for guest customers.

Applications for an administrative permit may be submitted either online, by mail or at our offices in Oroville, California. The fee for an administrative permit is $209.72

  1. Online Short-Term Rental Application (eTRAKiT)
  2. Apply Via Mail or In Person
    • Applications filed by mail or in person must be fully completed, signed, and accompanied by the filing fee of $209.72 (make checks payable to "Butte County Treasurer").
    • Short-Term Rental Applications (PDF)
    • Our Address is:
      Butte County Department of Development Services
      Planning Division
      7 County Center Drive
      Oroville, CA 95965

The property owner will be notified by email when the permit is approved. The email will include a link for the owner to download the certificate and operational conditions that must be posted in a conspicuous place within the rental unit. Upon approval of the permit, a notice will be mailed to property owners within 300 feet of the rental unit's property boundary and along the private road accessing the rental property.

If there is missing information or discrepancies contained in the application, or if approval of the permit is appealed, you will be contacted by County staff to discuss the next steps. If you have any questions regarding the application or the administrative permit process, please contact the Planning Division at 530-552-3701 or by email.

Additional Resources for Owners and Managers of Short-Term Rentals

  • Disaster Preparedness Emergency
    • Emergency evacuation information and maps of the community where the rental unit is located must be posted in a prominent location within the rental unit. Information can be found at the following link:
  • Butte County Right to Farm Ordinance Disclosure (Butte County Code Chapter 35)
    • Short-term rental proprietors must disclose to their tenants that they may be subject to inconveniences or discomforts arising from nearby agricultural operations. The disclosure must be included in their rental agreement and posted on the interior of the rental unit.
    • View additional information about the Right to Farm Ordinance.
    • View the required disclosure (PDF).
  • Reporting and Paying Transient Occupancy Tax
    • Per Butte County Code Section 23-A, the County of Butte levies a Transient Occupancy Tax (TOT) of 6% for overnight stays in unincorporated area hotels, motels, bed and breakfasts, campsites, and RV parks. The authority to levy TOT is granted to the legislative bodies of both cities and counties by Revenue and Taxation Code 7280. The Treasurer-Tax Collector's Department is responsible for collecting the tax on behalf of the County.
    • Find information about registering and submitting Transient Occupancy Tax.
  • Short-Term Rentals Ordinance