Employment Partners

Alliance for Workforce Development (AFWD)

AFWD provides a wide range of job-seeker and business services to five northern California counties, including Butte County. They seek to:

  • Connect employers to job seekers and job seekers to employers through services such as applicant screening, testing, assessment and referral, recruitment advertising and coordination, onsite workforce needs assessment and others
  • Enhance the quality of the workforce through staff-assisted services, skills upgrades, and training when needed
  • Make businesses successful in our communities by assuring they have a strong, viable workforce

AFWD services can be accessed at either of the Butte Community Employment Centers.

Butte County Department of Behavioral Health

The Butte County Department of Behavioral Health coordinates treatment services for individuals and families at-risk of or currently suffering from substance abuse and or serious mental illness. This is done through the collaboration and partnership with all segments of our community. Call 530-891-2810 or 800-334-6622, 24 hours a day.

Butte County Department of Public Health

The Health Department provides for Butte County residents:

  • Department of Employment and Social Services (DESS) Programs
  • Travel Immunizations and Exams
  • Well Children Examinations
  • Pre-employment Exams
  • STD Testing and Treatment
  • Birth Control Methods
  • Tuberculin Testing
  • Annual Exams for Women
  • Children's Immunizations
  • Health Education
  • DNA and Drug Testing
  • Breast Cancer Screening
  • Pregnancy Testing

Call 530-538-7341 to reach the Health Department.

Butte College

Butte College staff conduct regularly-scheduled Job Skills Workshops in both Community Employment Centers. These workshops are open both to CalWORKs participants and the general public, and cover all aspects of conducting an effective job search. The Butte College staff also provide career counseling and related services by appointment, as well as general information and referrals for all Butte College programs and services. To contact them, call:

  • Chico: 530-895-4393
  • Oroville: 530-538-5305

California Department of Rehabilitation

The California Department of Rehabilitation works in partnership with individuals with disabilities and other stakeholders to provide services and advocacy resulting in employment, independent living and equally for individuals with disabilities. To reach the CA Department of Rehabilitation, call 530-895-5507, or TTY 530-345-3897.

Department of Child Support Services

The Department of Child Support Services provides a variety of child support services to custodial and non-custodial parents and helps parents fulfill their responsibilities to their children. To reach Child Support Services you may call 866-901-3212 or visit them at 78 Table Mountain Boulevard, Oroville.

Valley Oak Children's Services

Valley Oak Children's Services is a private, non-profit agency serving Butte County. Their primary function is to make child care more accessible to parents, while encouraging quality child care opportunities for families in this area. One of their services is managing the CalWORKs Child Care program, which provides child care for CalWORKs Welfare-to-Work participants. For more information, call 530-895-3572 or 800-345-8627.

Experience Works, Inc.

Eligible low-income seniors, age 55 and older, benefit from temporary paid training at a variety of community service assignments at public and non-profit agencies in their communities, prior to transitioning into the workforce. Training is individually designed to enhance skills related to employment goals and obtaining a job outside the program.

To reach Experience Works, Inc., call 530-895-4672.

Program Qualifications

Documentation of eligibility must be provided prior to enrollment. Services are available to individuals who:

  • Are at least 55 years of age or older
  • Have annual family income that is not more than 125% of federal poverty guideline
  • Are currently not employed
  • Are eligible to work in the United States (INS regulations)
  • Are a resident of Butte County