Services & Programs

Temporary Cash Assistance

There are four basic programs that provide cash payments to eligible individuals or households. Each program has its own eligibility rules to determine if a person or household can receive cash payments and the amount of those payments.


CalWORKs is a time-limited cash assistance program for children and their parent(s) or qualifying relative with whom they live. Those receiving assistance through this program automatically qualify for Medi-Cal and may qualify for CalFresh, formerly known as Food Stamps. Employable adults are required to work or look for work. Visit the California Official website for further information on this program.

Cash Assistance for Immigrants (CAPI)

CAPI is a program for immigrants that are 65 or over, blind or disabled and who no longer qualify for the Supplemental Security Income (SSI) program.

Refugee Assistance

Refugee Assistance is a program that provides payments to eligible refugees for up to eight months after entering the United States. Visit the California Social Services website for further information on this program.

General Assistance (GA)

GA is a program for individuals or families that do not qualify for other cash programs. Individuals can receive General Assistance up to 3 months in a 12-month period, unless they are exempt from these time limits.

Additional Programs

Who May Be Eligible

Each program has rules about who qualifies and how much they can receive. Facts about the individual or household will be verified, including but not limited to:

  • Income
  • Bank accounts
  • Stocks
  • Vehicles
  • Age
  • Residency

How to Apply

Those living in Butte County can apply at any of the Community Employment Centers listed under Connect with Benefits. An interview is completed at the office. In some cases the interview can be completed at another location. If an interpreter is needed please ask at the time an appointment is made so one can be made available for the interview. There is no cost to you for the services of an interpreter.

Earned Income Tax Credit

Have you heard about California's Earned Income Tax Credit (CalEITC)? For more information on how you could get more money back in your tax return, click the following links:

Connect with Benefits