Tenant Landlord Relations

Butte County cannot referee tenant-landlord disputes. Disputes are usually best resolved between the renter and the property owner.

For information about your rights and suggestions on ways to resolve housing complaints between tenants and landlords, please contact or visit the State of California Department of Consumer Affairs online or call them at 800-952-5210.

If you intend to file a complaint with the County regarding Code infractions, you must first notify your landlord via certified mail of the issues you are having with the rental unit. If the landlord is still unwilling to make the unit habitable within the limits of their responsibility, you may then submit a complaint form to Butte County Code Enforcement. Along with the complaint form, you must include a copy of your letter to the landlord and a copy of the signed postal receipt confirming that the landlord has received or denied your letter.