Permitting & Licensing

Butte County is dedicated to assisting businesses interested in starting, expanding, or locating in Butte County. Learn more about our Economic Development Assistance Committee and how we can assist your business through the development process.

Visit CalGold, a website for assisting you with permits for your business.

  1. Butte County
  2. Cities & Towns
  3. State & Local Permitting Agencies

Business License

The County of Butte only requires business licenses or permits for the activities listed in the table below occurring within the unincorporated area. Depending on the type of business, if you operate out of your home you may also need a Home Occupation Permit (PDF).

Type of Business License or PermitApplicationApplication FeeLicense or Permit FeeFrequency
Auto DismantlerN/A$5$38Per Quarter
BingoBingo Application (PDF)N/A$50Per Year
Bowling AlleyPool Room/Bowling Alley Application (PDF)N/A$15Per Quarter
Card Room (One Table)Card Room Application (PDF)N/A$500Per Year
Carnival or CircusN/AN/A$100Per Day
Clairvoyant or MediumFortune Teller Application (PDF)N/A$250Per Quarter
Dance PermitN/AN/A$2.50/$5/$15Per Day/Month/Quarter
FairN/AN/A$100Per Day
Junk Collector/DealerUsed Goods Dealer Application (PDF)$5$20Per Quarter
Outdoor Festival (90-Day Approval Period)
  • $100
  • $300
$150Per Day Environmental Review
PawnbrokerUsed Goods Dealer Application (PDF)$5$20Per Quarter
PeddlerPeddler-Solicitor Application (PDF)$5$20Per Quarter
Pool RoomPool Room/Bowling Alley Application (PDF)$15$15Per Quarter
Skating RinkN/AN/A$2.50/$5/$15Per Day/Month/Quarter
SolicitorPeddler-Solicitor Application (PDF)$5N/AN/A
Sound TruckSound Truck Application (PDF)N/A$2.50Per Year
TheaterTheater Application (PDF)N/A$100Per Year
Used Goods DealerUsed Goods Dealer Application (PDF)$5$20Per Quarter

Fictitious Business Name

If you are operating under any name other than your own, you must file a Fictitious Business Name Statement with the County. It is also referred to as a "Doing Business As" (DBA). A fee is required when the statement is filed. Also, once filed, the statement must be published in a local newspaper of general circulation. This statement must be filed with the County Recorder's Office, located at:
155 Nelson Avenue
Oroville, CA 95965
Phone: 530-538-7691


Planning Department

7 County Center Drive
Oroville, CA 95965

Phone: 530-552-3701 (zoning, other permits)

Food Vendors

If you are going to be engaged in a business that sells food, you need a permit from Environmental Health, a division of the Public Health Department, located at:
202 Mira Loma Drive
Oroville, CA 95965
Phone: 530-538-7281 or 530-891-2727

Agricultural Commission

The Butte County Agricultural Commissioner's office is a regulatory agency acting under the jurisdiction and direction of the California Department of Food and Agriculture (CDFA), the Department of Pesticide Regulation (DPR), and the Division of Measure Standards (DMS) and in cooperation with various other federal, state, regional, and local agencies. The Agricultural Commissioner enforces the laws and regulations of the California Food and Agricultural Code and the California Code of Regulations Division of Measure Standards and is an appointed official of the County Board of Supervisors.

Agricultural Commission locations:

  • Main Office
    316 Nelson Avenue
    Oroville, CA 95965
    Phone: 530-552-4100
    Email the Agricultural Commission
  • Chico District Office: (T) 530-552-4085
  • Gridley District Office: (T) 530-552-4090