Patients' Rights During an Inpatient Stay

What Are My Rights?

  • Right to treatment which promotes potential of consumer to function independently and provided in ways that are least restrictive of personal liberty. 
  • Right to dignity, privacy and humane care.
  • Right to be free from harm.
  • Right to prompt medical care and treatment.
  • Right to religious freedom and practice. 
  • Right to participate in appropriate programs of publicly supported education. 
  • Right to social interaction and participation in community events.
  • Right to physical exercise and recreational opportunities. 
  • Right to be free from hazardous procedures. 
  • Right to see and receive services from an attorney and or Patients’ Rights Advocate. 
  • Right to wear your own clothes.
  • Right to keep your personal possessions.
  • Right to have ready access to letter-writing materials, including stamps.
  • Right to keep and spend a reasonable amount of your own money for small purchases.
  • Right to receive un-opened mail.
  • Right to use the telephone.
  • Right to see visitors.
  • Right to have a private storage space, such as a locker.

Hearings & Holds

  • 5150 - This is a 72-hour treatment and evaluation hold. At the end of this time period, staff must either discharge you or serve a new hold and schedule a hearing; during which a hearing officer will determine if it is necessary for you to stay longer. 
  • 5250 - This hold may be applied upon completion of the 72-hour 5150 if there is probable cause for need to continue treatment and evaluation. A probable cause hearing must be held to determine that probable cause exists for the extended hold. This must be based upon one of three things; Grave Disability, Danger to Self, or Danger to Others. Upon presentation of facts from staff, client and Patients’ Rights advocate, a hearing officer will make a decision to either discharge you into the community, or extend your hold for up to an additional 14 days. 

Writ of Habeas Corpus 

A person who has been placed on a hold, who has been hospitalized involuntarily or has been conserved can request a judicial re-view of their involuntary detention for psychiatric treatment and request their release.  A Petition for Writ of Habeas Corpus will be provided to you, you may ask anyone to help in filling out the Writ. Staff will inform the Patients’ Rights Advocate of your wish to file a Writ so that they can assist you as well. The Writ will be taken to the Court on the day it is written or when next the court is open. The Writ will be reviewed by a Judge within two judicial days of receipt.  If your request is granted, you will be discharged. If the request is denied you will remain in treatment.  A Writ of Habeas Corpus can only be filed once every 6 months. 


Patient Right’s Advocate
1196 East Lassen Avenue
Suite 130
Chico, CA 95973
Phone: 530-343-1731
Phone: 800-497-1445
Se habla Español

For grievances related to Substance Use Disorder Services:

Ombudsman Information

Butte County has contracted with Passages for all Ombudsman services. You can contact them and find more information on their website.