Public Works
Welcome to the Butte County Department of Public Works, serving its residents since 1850. The Public Works Department maintains approximately 1,300 miles of roadways, including over 500 bridges and drainage structures and more than 18,000 road signs. Our goal is to provide you with the best customer service possible. If you are unable to find what you are looking for on our website, please call our office for more personal service.
Household Hazardous Waste
The purpose of the Household Hazardous Waste Facility is to provide an outlet for citizens of Butte County to safely dispose of hazardous wastes that are typically used in the household, and to help protect the environment.

What can I do with Household Hazardous Waste (HHW)?

The answer to that question, for Butte County residents, is to use the Butte Regional Household Hazardous Waste Facility located at 1101 Marauder Street, Chico (at the Chico Airport). Toll free number for 24-hour Hotline is 866.429.2288, 866.HAZCATT.

Questions & Answers about HHW

  • Why use this facility?
  • What can I dispose?
  • What is not accepted?
  • Whom do we serve?
  • What is the cost?
  • Where is the facility located?
  • What are the hours of operation?
  • Why bring items to HHW facility?
  • How do I know if something is HHW?
  • How do I transport HHW to the facility?
  • How much HHW can be disposed at one time?
  • How can I avoid HHW products altogether?

  • View Larger Map


    Q. Why use this facility?

        A. Keep your home and environment safe by bringing old and unwanted household hazardous waste (HHW) in for proper disposal

    Q. What can I dispose?

        A. Any of the following items:

      • antifreeze
      • motor oil
      • oil filters
      • latex and oil based paint
      • pesticides
      • herbicides
      • poisons
      • aerosols
      • gasoline
      • paint related products like thinner, stain, varnish, and lacquers
      • bleaches
      • polishes
      • solvents
      • batteries
      • household cleaning supplies
      • pool chemicals
      • hobby supplies
      • fluorescent light tubes
      • mercury thermostats
      • "e-waste" (computer monitors, televisions and other items containing Cathode Ray Tubes (CRT's))

    Q. What is not accepted?

        A. Any of the following items:

      • explosives
      • ammunition
      • radioactive waste
      • smoke detectors
      • tires or
      • garbage

    Q. Whom do we serve?

        A. We serve all the communities of Butte County, including Biggs, Chico, Gridley, Oroville and Paradise.

    Q. What is the cost?

        A. Free to all households in Butte County. Proof of residency in Butte County must be shown (ie., garbage, water, phone, cable or utility bill)

    Q. Where is the facility located?

        A. 1101 Marauder Street, Chico, CA 95973 (at the Chico Airport). 

    Q. What are the hours of Operation?

        A. This facility is open from 9:00 AM to 1:00 PM Friday and 9:00 AM to 4:00 PM Saturday. No appointment is necessary.

    Q. Why bring items to the HHW facility? Can't I just throw it in the garbage?

        A. No! Don't dispose of HHW in the garbage, don't pour it down storm drains and don't dump in on the ground! HHW can injure sanitation workers, poison the environment and poses a threat to human health and wildlife when improperly disposed.

    Q. How do I know if something is Household Hazardous Waste?

        A. Look for the words "Caution," "Warning," " Danger," or "Poison" on the label. By law, hazardous products must have warning labels. If you're not sure, call us at 1.866.HAZCATT 1.866.429.2288

    Q. How do I transport HHW to the facility?

        A. Keep HHW products in a pickup bed, trunk or a back seat - as far away from you as possible. Keep all products in the original container and NEVER mix the products. Try to load your vehicle right before you leave for the facility so that fumes don't have a chance to build up. It is recommended that you keep your vehicle well ventilated during your trip to the facility.

    Q. How much HHW can be disposed at one time?

        A. The legal limit is 5 gallons or 50 lbs. at one time. If you have more, make more than one trip.

    Q. How can I avoid Household Hazardous Waste products all together?

        A. Use less-toxic products whenever possible. Look for safer alternatives, many of which can be found at your local grocery store, or use simple alternatives. A mixture of baking soda and castile soap makes a good multipurpose cleaning product. Lemon juice, vinegar, hot-water and "elbow grease" can be use for a variety of projects from window cleaning to unclogging drains. You can help reduce pollution by making wise choices about the chemicals products you choose!


    Master Plan sized      

    Apply for Permits  Projects  Road Closure

    Report Issues  GIS Maps  

     Locations and Hours

    Butte County Public Works
    7 County Center Dr.
    Oroville, CA 95965

    Regular hours 7:30am to 4:00pm.  Closed all holidays.

    Neal Road Recycling and Waste Facility
    1023 Neal Road
    Paradise, CA 95969

    Regular hours 7:00am to 4:00pm

    Monday thru Sunday

    New Year's Day, Easter, July 4th, Thanksgiving day, Christmas day: Closed

     Contact Public Works

    Butte County Public Works
    Phone:    530.538.7681
    Fax:        530.538.7171


    Neal Road Recycling and Waste Facility

    Phone:    530.345.4917
    Fax:        530.645.1820


    Looking for Sandbag Locations In Butte County?

    Public Works

    7 County Center Drive
    Oroville, CA 95965

    Joshua Pack, Director

    Careers with Public Works