Public Health Laboratory
The Butte County Public Health Laboratory is dedicated to protecting the health of the local community. It supports more than 215,800 citizens in the cities of Chico, Oroville, Paradise, Gridley, Biggs and other areas within the County who depend on Butte Public Health Department for services, programs and outreach. Our Laboratory has advanced testing capabilities to detect agents of infectious disease and other threats to the public’s health including plans for bioterrorism/disaster preparedness. It is staffed with experienced, highly trained and State certified Public Health Microbiologists and support staff.
Positions currently utilized include:
- Lab Director
- Senior Public Health Microbiologist
- Public Health Microbiologist
- Lab Technician
For more information on employment opportunities within Butte County Public Health Department or the Butte County Public Health Laboratory please visit the County’s Human Resources Department Web site at www.buttecounty.net/personnel or call the Job Hotline: 530-538-7653.
Danielle Hopkins, Senior Public Health Microbiologist
Butte County Public Health Laboratory
695 Oleander Avenue
Chico, CA 95926
Hours: Monday thru Friday 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Laboratory Services and Programs
Sexually Transmitted Disease (STD) testing, using the most advanced technologies
- Chlamydia by GenProbe Aptima Combo 2 Assay
- Gonorrhea by GenProbe Aptima Combo 2 Assay
The following tests are done for any medical practice in the community
- Mycobacteriology - Smears and cultures
- Parasitology - Identification of intestinal, blood, tissue and ectoparasites
- Mycology - Isolation and identification
- Bacteriology - Isolation and identification
- Diarrheal Disease - Isolation and identification of Salmonella, Campylobacter, Shigella, Vibrio, Yersinia and E. coli 0157:H7.
Other Testing provided
- Rabies Testing. Rabies is endemic in Butte County. The Laboratory tests all suspect animals from bats to bears.
- Tick testing. Testing for Borrelia burgdorferi, the organism that causes Lyme disease is done on Ixodes pacificus (the Deer Tick).
- Water Testing by Colilert
- Other testing services necessary to support programs of the local health department.
Other Services provided
- Bioterrorism/disaster preparedness planning.
- Consultation and reference services for other laboratories and the medical community.
Specimen Collection and Submittal
Specimens Submittal Form
Specimen Collection Manual
Guidelines for Collection and Shipment of Avian Influenza Specimens
Guidelines for Collection and Shipment of Non-Avian Influenza Specimens
Viral and Rickettsial Disease Specimen Submittal Form for Influenza or other Respiratory Illnesses
More Laboratory Related Information
American Medical Association (AMA)
California Department of Public Health
Centers for Disease Control
National Institute of Health (NIH)
CERTIFICATE OF COMPLIANCE