Public Health Nurses in Foster Care Services work with social workers in the Children Services Division to provide medical case management for children who are in foster care placement. Public Health Nurses also work with the Probation Department to assist with coordination of health care services for children in juvenile probation foster care placement.
Foster Care Public Health Nurses are responsible for:
- Advocating for the health needs of the child
- Medical case planning and coordination
- Serving as a resource to facilitate referrals to early-intervention providers, dentists, mental health providers, and other community programs
- Overseeing the creation and updating of a Health and Education Passport
- Health education to caseworkers, foster care providers, and others
The Public Health Nurses are also a great resource in helping assess a child's medical needs in order to determine the appropriate specialized care rate they should receive if placed in an Options for Recovery Foster Home or other County licensed Foster Home.