Development Services

If you are looking to create jobs, talk with us. We process Building Permits including Plan Review, Inspections and coordination with other agencies to issue Permits. We process Development Applications including environmental review, provide zoning information and support long-range planning through the County’s General Plan. Code Enforcement responds to Building, Land Use, Abandoned Vehicles, Noise, Nuisance Abatement and the County’s Restrictions on Cultivation of Medical Marijuana Ordinance complaints.

Planning Division FAQs

Frequently Asked Questions regarding the County's Planning Division.

Q:  Is my parcel in the city or county?

A:  Please visit our Parcel Look-Up Tool to determine which jurisdiction your parcel is located in. At the bottom of the page, type in the property’s Assessor’s Parcel Number (APN). This will take you to the parcel in question and will load a text box that will give you information about the parcel, including the zoning. If the zoning lists a city or a town, the parcel is not in the county. City areas are referred to as “incorporated”, while areas not under city jurisdiction are referred to as being located in the “unincorporated” area of Butte County. Butte County and each incorporated city maintains their own zoning ordinance, land use regulations, and general plan.


Q:  How do I determine property boundaries as shown on a map?

A:  You can:

  • Refer to your recorded parcel map or your legal description (obtainable from the Clerk-Recorder’s Office).
  • You may refer to your grant deed or Title Report/Guarantee.
  • Your parcel’s dimensions may be available through an Assessor’s Parcel map (purchasable at the Assessor’s Office).
  • Consult with a professional land surveyor. You can search for one or refer to this list.


Q:  How would I obtain an easement from a neighbor?

A:  NOTE: Private easements are a civil matter between private property owners. The County does not regulate the creation of easements between private parties.

  • For private easements, consult with a professional land surveyor and the parcel owner(s) to come to a private agreement. After coming to an agreement, a surveyor can write a legal description of the easement and record the easement at the Clerk-Recorder’s Office.


Q:  How tall can I build a fence?

A:  To learn about the height limits of Walls and Fences in different locations of your parcel and in various zones, please read our Butte County Code here. Please contact a planner for specific questions.


Q:  How can I find the zoning for a specific property?

A:  To find the zoning of a specific property, go to our Parcel Look-Up Tool, and at the bottom of the page, type in the property’s APN. This will take you to the parcel in question and will load a text box that will give you information about the parcel such as Zoning, Acreage, and Site Address. A planner can assist you in any specific questions you may have about zoning.


Q:  What is a use permit?

A:  A Conditional Use Permit or Minor Use Permit is a discretionary action that enables the County to ensure that a proposed use is consistent with all General Plan goals and policies and will not create negative impacts to adjacent properties or the general public. Uses that are conditionally allowed are indicated for each zone under the Zoning Ordinance.


Q:  How do I establish a business in my home?

A:  Businesses run out of a home are considered home occupations. There are four (4) types of home occupations. Please refer to Butte County Code here.


Q:  Do I need a business license for a business in my home?

A:  The County does not require a business license. This does not negate or exempt the requirements for any licenses required by the State, by professional boards, or as may be required to do business in an incorporated city. Please read more about business licenses and permits here.


Q:  What type of land uses are allowed on a property?

A:  To learn about the permitted Land Uses in the Residential Zones, please read our Butte County Code here. A planner may assist you in any specific questions you may have concerning allowed land uses.


Q:  What is zoning?

A:  Zoning describes any of the agriculture, natural resource, residential, commercial and mixed use, industrial, special purpose, and overlay zones established by Article II (Zoning Districts, Land Uses, and Development Standards) within which certain land uses are allowed, conditionally allowed, or prohibited. Zoning may also apply development standards to certain uses.


Q:  How do I find easements on my property?

A:  You can:

  • Refer to your recorded parcel map or your recorded subdivision map (if applicable).
  • Refer to your grant deed and/or Title Report/Guarantee.


Q:  Can I subdivide my property?

A:  Your ability to subdivide your property depends on your zoning and parcel size. Please contact a planner for individual property information.


Q:  How do I obtain a Temporary Housing Permit as a result of the Camp Fire or North Complex Fire?

A:  Please contact the Building Division at


Q:  What does multi-zoned mean on the Parcel Look-Up? What are the zones on the property?

A:  Multi-zoned means that you have multiple zones on your property. You may look up the zones on our Parcel Look-Up Tool. Refer to the zoning legend for the different colors. Contact a planner if you need additional help understanding the different zoning that may be applicable.


Q:  Where is my septic system located? How do I get a septic system for my property? How do I apply for a well?

A:  Unless the inquiry is regarding setbacks to property lines, inquiries regarding wastewater and domestic water supply, such as as-built septic systems, should be directed to the Department of Environmental Health, Environmental Health Division at

Apply for Permit  Schedule Inspection  Parcel Lookup

Forms and Documents  Calendar  Join Email Lists

 Contact DDS

Development Services

Phone: 530.552.3700
Fax: 530.538.7785

Building - 530.552.3700
Planning - 530.552.3701
Code Enforcement - 530.552.3702
Building Inspection IVR - 530.538.4365

Submit Suggestions.
Submit Issues.
View Department Contacts.
View Full List of Staff.
View Organization Chart.

 Locations & Hours

Development Services

7 County Center Drive
Oroville, CA 95965

Office Hours
Mon - 8am to 4pm
Tues - 8am to 4pm
Wed - 8am to 3pm
Thur - 8am to 4pm
Fri - 8am to 4pm

Excludes Holidays

Join a line, or schedule an appointment from your computer (click here) or mobile device (download the QLess App, and Search for 'Development Services').

 Connect with DDS

Facebook Logo   Facebook Logo

Vimeo Logo   Join Email Lists

 What's New

May 9, 2018
The Butte County Sustainable Agricultural Lands Conservation (SALC) Strategy won an Award of Excellence and the Butte Utility-Scale Solar Guide won an Award of Merit from the 2018 American Planning Association Sacramento Valley Section Awards.

April 10, 2018
T-25 Workshop Tuesdays 3:30-5:00

April 4, 2018
Building Stakeholder Meeting

March 19, 2018
View Development Services 2017 Accomplishments...what a great year it was (except for all of the disasters)

March 16, 2018
New DDS Permitted Special Events webpage launched