Development Services

If you are looking to create jobs, talk with us. We process Building Permits including Plan Review, Inspections and coordination with other agencies to issue Permits. We process Development Applications including environmental review, provide zoning information and support long-range planning through the County’s General Plan. Code Enforcement responds to Building, Land Use, Abandoned Vehicles, Noise, Nuisance Abatement and the County’s Restrictions on Cultivation of Medical Marijuana Ordinance complaints.

News & Announcements

Recent Storm Damage?

Wednesday, January 11, 2017/Categories: News & Announcements


Butte County, Department of Development Services, Building Division would like to remind residents that with the recent storms, many structures may have experienced flooding or structural damage (trees falling). It is important that you check in with our Department to discuss building permit requirements.


If you have property affected by the recent severe storms and flooding in the unincorporated areas (Butte County), you’re encouraged to get the necessary building permits before starting new construction or repairs.


The first step for any property owners in Butte County who have damage to their homes or businesses should be to check with the local Building Division, Department of Development Services (DDS). DDS can work with you or your contractor to ensure any permits are properly filed and necessary inspections are carried out.


Permits may be required for repairs to roofs, walls, siding, wallboard, plaster, insulation, paneling, cabinets, flooring, electrical systems, electrical service panels, Photovoltaic panel systems, plumbing, septic systems and heating/air conditioning systems, etc.


Additionally, you may want to talk to the Environmental Health Department if you are on a well or septic.  They can answer any questions about your water or septic concerns.


  How does a building permit benefit the Homeowner?


In a word: SAFETY. A building permit and the inspections that accompany a permit protect you, your family and guests, and future owners. It protects your neighbor. It protects your contractor. It protects the County. Evidence of permits and inspections may be required in an insurance claim or property sale. All of this adds up to a protection of your property's value.


After the Storm:

  • Listen for news reports to learn whether the community’s water supply is safe to drink.
  • Avoid floodwaters; water may be contaminated by oil, gasoline, or raw sewage. It also be electrically charged from underground or downed power lines.
  • Be aware of areas where floodwaters have receded. Roads may have weakened and could collapse under the weight of a car.
  • Return home only when authorities indicate it is safe.
  • Stay out of any building if it is surrounded by floodwaters.
  • Use extreme caution when entering buildings; there may be hidden damage, particularly in foundations.
  • Service damaged septic tanks, cesspools, pits, and leaching systems as soon as possible. Damaged sewage systems are serious health hazards.
  • Clean and disinfect everything that got wet. Mud left from floodwater can contain sewage and chemicals.

My House and/or Business was flooded during the storm. Should I contact the county?

  • If your house and/or business were flooded during a storm event you may contact the County. A representative of the County will contact you and/or visit the site to review the cause of the flooding and to provide recommendation on how to remediate the damage to the structure.


    Property Damaged What Should We Do?


  • First and foremost, make certain the building is structurally sound and is not going to collapse or cause other physical harm prior to entering a damaged structure. Shut off the electrical and/or gas service to the structure if there is any possibility that the service is damaged. Notify your applicable insurance carriers of the damage immediately to begin the claims process.


  • Take photographs of any damaged areas. Secure the property from any additional damages if possible.  Wait for your insurance company to give you clearance to begin cleaning up damaged areas.


  • The Federal Emergency Management Agency also has information available online regarding the first steps to take after a flood and about repairing your flooded home.  Be careful to avoid injury during post-event clean-up and salvage operations. 


  • Make sure any contractors you hire to repair your property are licensed or registered for the type of work they are performing and obtain applicable permits prior to starting work on your property.


  • Be sure to check with your local building division to see if permits required.

Additional Guidance/Resources

Complete Guide to Flood Safety and Preparedness


Tree damage…water damage… storm damage.. before you hire a contractor… Check the license..

Consumers can use CSLB's online resources, available on  or, to review the license status of a contractor they plan to hire, and to get tips on the best approach to home repair projects. Any construction job valued at $500 or more in labor and materials must be done by a state-licensed contractor. California Business and Professions (B&P) Code requires licensees to carry workers' compensation insurance coverage for their employees, and to be bonded.

 The National Electrical Manufacturers Association (NEMA) has the information and resources you can rely on before, during, and after a storm.  This includes tips for preparing your home and workplace, electrical safety during a storm, and guidance on restoring your electrical systems affected by wind, rain, or flooding.  Follow us on Twitter and Facebook for the latest information and continuous updates and tips to keep you and your family safe.

 NEMA’s Evaluating Water-Damaged Electrical Equipment

NEMA’s After the Storm Strategies

NEMA’s Guidance on Downed Power Lines

NEMA’s Disaster Recovery Guidance


Number of views (20168) /Tags: