Deputies involved in an incident with a Magalia man who died after being hit with Tasers were cleared of any criminal liability, District Attorney Mike Ramsey announced Wednesday during a press conference.

Daniel Walter Quick, 43, died Dec. 30 after a confrontation with law enforcement in his parent's Magalia home where he was hit with two Tasers. An autopsy and toxicology report revealed Quick had a high level of methamphetamine in his system when he died and had prior heart and lung conditions, Ramsey said.

Because of this, the shock from the Tasers and the erratic actions by Quick, a pathologist's report stated Quick "was exquisitely sensitive to the induction of cardiac dysrhythmia," Ramsey said. The reaction was the official cause of death. According to the investigation by the Butte County Officer Involved Shooting/Critical Incident Protocol Team, which is made up of local law enforcement agencies, the deputies were justified in using the Tasers to attempt to subdue Quick.

"There was a conscious effort to use Tasers as a less than lethal effort to take Mr. Quick into custody alive," Ramsey said.

Deputies had responded to the home of Quick's parents, where Quick lived, after the parents


called the Butte County Sheriff's Office and said their son had made threats against them and himself. Quick had lived with his parents on and off for the past five years. During that time deputies had multiple contacts with Quick for incidents of "bizarre and suicidal behavior," Ramsey said. On Dec. 30, Quick's parents told authorities he was acting more erratic than usual and threatened to kill them and himself and burn down the house. Quick also spoke of communications with an alien race called "Neflens," which he said had already taken over the Paradise Police Department and the White House and were coming to burn down the home, Ramsey said.

The parents left the house and called the Butte County Sheriffs Office. Reserve Sgt. Tom Coleman responded to the home on Drexel Drive at about 4:17 p.m., where he saw Quick standing on the front porch and attempted to talk to him. Coleman recognized Quick as someone deputies had en-counters with before, Ramsey said.

According to Coleman, Quick then shouted obscenities at Coleman and ran into the home, refusing to come out. Quick yelled that the sergeant would "have to kill him" and that he wasnt leaving the house. While Coleman waited outside for backup, he heard the back door of the home close. He walked to a side gate and saw Quick running at him. Coleman drew his Taser and ordered him to stop. Quick replied with an obscenity and said, "I'll kill you first." Quick then ran back onto the porch and Coleman attempted to fire his Taser at him but it failed to deploy, Ramsey said.

Quick continued to yell threats and refused to leave the home.

Coleman was then joined by Sgt. Jason Hail, Deputy Tracy Panuke and Paradise Police Sgt. Jason Imboden. They attempted to convince Quick to come out of the house, which he refused. During the conversation Quick's mood seemed to change from angry to calm several times. He denied making threats against his parents or himself and said he had no intent to harm anyone unless they came in after him, Ramsey said. The officers had also learned Quick had a gun registered to him, although one had not yet been seen. In an attempt to defuse the situation, Hail decided officers should leave the area.

"He felt if officers were to rush the residence it could be a very dangerous situation," Ramsey said.

After the officers left the area Coleman attempted to find Quick's parents, whom he eventually found and brought to the Magalia sheriff's substation. At the station the parents expressed fear and frustration with their son and said they wanted him removed from the house. The couple detailed what they said was years of abuse from Quick and said he was heavily under the influence of methamphetamine. They requested charges of threats and elder abuse be filed against Quick and gave Coleman permission to enter their home. They then provided Coleman with a key to the residence and a diagram of the interior of the house.

The parents were warned that the situation "could turn deadly," Ramsey said, and they said they were aware of the potential consequences. Coleman, Panuke, Sgt. Anthony Borgman and Deputy Dick Dobkowitz went to the residence at about 7:15 p.m. Coleman and Panuke entered through the unlocked front door and Borgman and Dobkowitz went to the back door. The officers announced their presence and asked Quick to come out, to which Quick responded by yelling from his bedroom, "Youre going to have to kill me," Ramsey said.

The officers assembled outside the bedroom, which had no door, and told Quick to come out. Quick again yelled profanities and told officers, "You're going to have to kill me or I'll kill you. Coleman then stood in front of the bedroom entry and Quick began throwing items at him, including shelves, a beer bottle, lamp and mirror, which shattered around Coleman. Quick then picked up a heavy three-legged table and, with the table legs sticking out, charged at Coleman, who had his firearm drawn and pointed at Quick.

Borgman and Dobkowitz were left of the bedroom entry and both fired their Tasers "nearly simultaneously," Ramsey said. Quick immediately stopped and fell to the floor with the table still clutched in his hands. The officers handcuffed Quick, and when they realized he had a weak pulse and was non-responsive he was taken to Feather River Hospital where he was pronounced dead at 8:21 p.m.

Ramsey said based on Quick's statement and actions it seemed he may have been trying to commit "suicide by cop." There had been questions raised as to whether the use of two Tasers rather than one contributed to the death, Ramsey said, which he said was irrelevant.

"There is no doubling of voltage," Ramsey said. "When you have two cups of coffee at 110 degrees and you pour the two of them together they do not begin to boil at 220 degrees."

Deputies are trained to try to only deploy one Taser for tactical purposes to keep one in reserve, he said, not because it could be deadly. Tasers are considered a less than lethal option to defuse a situation and this is the first time in Butte County a death has occurred following Taser-use since they were introduced to the department in 2002, Ramsey said. Coleman was fully prepared to use deadly force against Quick if necessary, he said.

"It was only the intervention of the Taser that ended the incident."


The writer can be reached at