What Are My Rights?

If you are unhappy with the services you are receiving, you can file a grievance at any time.

Grievances can be filed by calling the Patient’s Rights line and/or by filling out the Beneficiary Problem Resolution Form located at all Butte County Behavioral Health Locations, or online here.

If you are unhappy with the resolution of your grievance, you may request an appeal.

You will not be subjected to discrimination, intimidation or any other retaliation for expressing concerns/filing a Grievance or Appeal.

1. You have a right to wear your own clothes.

2. To keep your personal possessions.

3. To have ready access to letter-writing materials, including stamps.

4. To keep and spend a reasonable amount of your own money for small purchases.

5. To receive un-opened mail.

6. To use the telephone.

7. To see visitors.

8. To have a private storage space, such as a locker.


What is a Patients’ Rights Advocate?

Patients’ Rights Advocates protect the rights of mental health consumers during inpatient treatment as outlined by Federal Law, State Regulation and County Guidelines.

What does the Patients’ Rights Advocate do?

Represents involuntarily detained consumers in Probable Cause and Medication Hearings. Provides training regarding patients’ rights. Collects data regarding denial of rights and involuntary detention. Monitors mental health facilities for compliance with patients’ rights laws, regulations and policies.


What is a Beneficiary Protection Designee?

The Beneficiary Protection Designee assists mental health consumers who receive outpatient services through Butte County Behavioral Health with filing Grievances through the Problem Resolution Process as outlined by the Guide to Medi-Cal Service, Title 22, & 42 CFR.

What does the Beneficiary Protection Designee do?

Supports outpatient clients with the problem resolution process. Collects and reviews grievances. Makes recommendations for and provides assistance with resolutions of grievances in the required timeframes. Provides training regarding the outpatient grievance & problem resolution process.

Beneficiary Protections Poster

English  |  Spanish

Patients’ Rights Advocate Poster

English  |  Spanish  |  Hmong


Bianca Wilson, LMFT
Patient Right’s Advocate/Language Access Coordinator/BHC III
1196 East Lassen Ave., Suite 130
Chico, CA 95973

Se habla Español

For grievances related to Substance Use Disorder Services: English | Spanish

Ombudsman Information: Butte County has contracted with Passages for all Ombudsman services. You can contact them and find more information on their website.



 Support Lines

Behavioral Health Crisis Lines
24 hours a day / 7 days a week
800.334.6622, or

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline
800.273.TALK (8255)
Chat online at

Crisis Text Line
Text LISTEN to ‘741741’

Veterans Crisis Line
800.273.8255 (press 1)  

Friendship Line (older adults)

Trevor Lifeline (LGBTQ+)

North Valley Talk Line
4:30pm to 9:30pm / 7 days a week

 Locations & Hours

Butte County Behavioral Health Administration
3217 Cohasset Rd
Chico, CA 95973
Monday – Friday
8:00am to 5:00pm

Excludes Holidays
View all Locations

 Get Started

Call the Behavioral Health Access Line at 530.891.2810 to get started.

During the phone conversation we will ask whether your needs are urgent and what type of help you are looking for.

See the three steps for getting started.