For Immediate Release: February 21, 2014 – 9:00 a.m.
Butte County Contact:
Nancy Springer, Butte County Building Division Manager, CBO
The California State License Board (CSLB) and Butte County will announce the Citizen Volunteer Program on February 24, 2014 at 10:30am in the Board of Supervisors Chambers, 25 County Center Drive, Suite 205 in Oroville. The Citizen Volunteer Program is a partnership between CSLB and Butte County to protect consumers from unlicensed, uninsured construction activity in Butte County, and to help level the playing field for legitimate, licensed contractors.
- Contractors and consumers will identify and provide leads to Butte County contractors who voluntarily participate in CSLB’s Industry Expert Program.
- Butte County Industry Expert volunteers will respond to locations identified by citizens who believe unlicensed, uninsured activity is under way at an active job site, confirm the leads, and make referrals to CSLB.
- CSLB will issue appropriate notices to those working at a job site and in violation of contracting and insurance laws, such as:
- A Stop Notice if they have employees and are without workers’ compensation insurance;
- A notice to appear (NTA) in superior court if they are contracting illegally; or
- Another form of disciplinary action that is appropriate for the violation.
- Leads will be reported to Heather Young at (916) 255-3981 who will contact an Industry Expert volunteer to confirm ongoing activity.
“This valuable partnership with Butte County, and the support of area residents and legitimate contractors who provide leads, helps in the fight against the underground economy—which creates unfair competition for licensed contractors, and supports CSLB’s consumer protection efforts,” said CSLB Registrar Steve Sands.
Ana Rodriguez, CSLB
9821 Business Park Drive
Sacramento, CA 95827