Welcome to Butte County

Butte County is a place of natural beauty with countless opportunities for recreation in both rural and urban environments. Many Butte County residents live in one of the five incorporated towns or cities: Biggs, Chico, Gridley, Oroville or Paradise. Butte County government provides services to residents through 23 diverse departments. Services include elections, road maintenance, public safety, solid waste disposal, and health and human services to name a few.

News and Announcements

Butte County Secures Assistance to Remove Hazardous Materials from Properties Burned by Wall Fire

Friday, July 14, 2017/Categories: News and Announcements

For Immediate Release: July 14, 2017, 2:30 pm
Contact: Lisa Almaguer, 530.966-1686
Visit: ButteCounty.net |Facebook | Twitter @County of Butte

Residents whose homes or structures were damaged or destroyed by the Wall Fire can get assistance to remove hazardous materials at no cost. The assistance is provided by the California Department of Toxic Substance Control and is available at no cost to the County or the residents. Identifying and removing hazardous materials is an important first step for any home or structure damaged by wildfire. This step keeps people safe on the property, protects creeks and streams, ensures materials can be accepted by the landfill, and is required for structures to be rebuilt.

Ash, charred debris, and other contaminated materials from burned structures may be hazardous waste. The Public Health Department warns property owners who wish to conduct ash and debris cleanup themselves that significant health hazards may be present when handling ash, debris, and household hazardous waste. Experience from similar fires in California has shown that asbestos, polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs), heavy metal residues, and other hazardous substances may be present in burn ash and debris.

Due to these hazards, the Public Health Department recommends that site cleanup be conducted by appropriately licensed professional contractors. Residents who want to access the free services available for removal of hazardous waste from their property will need to complete a Right of Entry form to allow the work to take place on their property. These forms will be available starting Monday, July 17th at noon at the Fire Assistance Center. Residents can come to the Fire Assistance Center Monday through Friday from noon to 3:00 pm to work one-on-one with County staff on rebuilding after the fire.

The Neal Road Recycling and Waste Facility cannot accept waste that has not be screened for hazardous materials. Homeowners who do not participate in the free screening program will be required to provide documentation that their fire debris has been screened and is free of hazardous materials before delivering to the Neal Road Recycling and Waste Facility for disposal. For more information, call Steve Rodowick at 879-2352 or Eric Miller at 879-2351. The free service available to properties damaged by the Wall Fire is an important step in ensuring the safety of residents and initiating the rebuilding process.

Number of views (23073) /Tags: