Welcome to Butte County

Butte County is a place of natural beauty with countless opportunities for recreation in both rural and urban environments. Many Butte County residents live in one of the five incorporated towns or cities: Biggs, Chico, Gridley, Oroville or Paradise. Butte County government provides services to residents through 23 diverse departments. Services include elections, road maintenance, public safety, solid waste disposal, and health and human services to name a few.

Ticket Amnesty & Driver's License Reinstatement Programs

Effective October 1, 2015 - March 31, 2017

Governor Brown signed into law a one-time amnesty program for unpaid traffic and non-traffic infraction tickets and a drivers license reinstatement program. The program began October 1, 2015 and will run through March 31, 2017. 

The Central Collections Division of the Treasurer-Tax Collector's Department administers the program on behalf of the Butte County Superior Court, as it is responsible for collecting delinquent court fines and fees. Learn more about the amnesty programs.

PG&E Community Pipeline Safety Initiative

PG&E has issued information about the Community Pipeline Safety Initiative and the plan to remove trees in Butte County. Read the information issued by PG&E including a description of the initiative, questions and answers, and maps of project areas.

Assistance for Residential Well Owners

Water Filling Locations Available for Residential Well Owners

Residential well owners who need water due to drought conditions can access water at several locations throughout Butte County.

North Butte County

  • 1951 Locust Street, Chico (corner of Locust Street and 20th Street)
    • Open by appointment only. Appointments available on Mondays and Thursday from 4:30 P.M. to 5:30 P.M. Call 530.538.7631 to schedule an appointment.
  • 14147 Lakeridge Court in Magalia
    • Open by appointment only. Appointments are available on Mondays and Thursdays from 2:00 P.M. to 3:00 P.M. Call 530.538.7631 to schedule an appointment. 
  • Butte County residents can access up to 500 gallons of water each time water is hauled.
  • End users of the water must be using it for essential residential needs and must comply with the State Water Resource Control Board’s restriction on water use, as well as the Water District's Tariff Rule 14.1.
  • Butte County will verify people accessing water are residential well owners whose wells are dry or not producing adequate water and water is for household uses.
    Water is not available for residents who:
    • live outside Butte County;
    • are served by a water supplier/district; or 
    • have a dry or low producing well for reasons other than the drought.

South Butte County

In the Oroville area, South Feather Water and Power (SFWP) provides three locations with potable (drinking) water.

  • 2310 Oro-Quincy Highway, Oroville
    • One filling station accommodates containers up to 5 gallons. Public access is unlimited.
    • A second filling station accommodates containers from water bottles to 2,500 gallon tanks. The charge for water is $5 for 2,500 gallon container, which can be paid at the SFWP Office. Filling station is open 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 pm.
  • 234 Kelly Ridge Road, Oroville
    • A filling station at this location accommodates containers up to 5 gallons. Public access is unlimited. 

The locations listed provide water for residents to fill and haul themselves. The County encourages residents to use water from these locations for everyday functions, such as showering, doing laundry, and flushing toilets. Residents should use bottled water for drinking. 

Licensed Water Haulers

Butte County residents who need potable water may also hire a Water Hauler licensed by the California Department of Public Health (CDPH). Five Water Haulers are licensed in Butte County. A full list of Water Haulers licensed by the CDPH is provided online.

Current list of Licensed Water Haulers in Butte County:

  • Ben Porta Showers, Gridley – 530.846.4110
  • Butte Water Truck Service, Oroville – 530.589.0645
  • Craig Dewsnup Trucking, Gridley – 530.846.3116
  • M and C Equipment, Chico – 530.624.4332
  • T & L Drinking Water, Paradise – 530.876.8661 

Report Dry or Low Producing Residential Wells

It is important for residents whose wells are dry or not producing adequate water to contact the Butte County Department of Water and Resource Conservation at 530.538.4343 or complete the well reporting form online. The County needs to know how many residential well owners do not have adequate water due to the drought in order to access necessary emergency resources. 

Local & Community Resources


Call 911 for Police, Fire or Medical emergencies.

Child Abuse
800.400.0902 or

24 Hour Domestic Violence Help
800.895.8476 or

Rape Crisis
800.656.4673 or

Elder Abuse

Children Mental Health Crisis
800.371.4373 or

Adult Mental Health Crisis
800.334.6622 or

Victim/Witness Program
530.538.7340 or