General Assistance (GA) provides financial assistance in the form of a loan, for eligible, low-income persons or families who do not qualify for any other cash assistance program. The program, established in accordance with the Welfare and Institutions Code section 17000, provides relief and support to those eligible county residents who are poor, and to those incapacitated by age, disease, or accident, and who are not otherwise supported by relatives, friends or by their own means. GA is time-limited to a maximum of three months in any twelve month period for employable recipients.
Who May Be Eligible
In order to be potentially eligible, the applicant/recipient:
- Must be at least 18 years of age or a legally emancipated minor or the eligible child of an eligible adult
- Must not be enrolled in an institution of higher education if they are determined to be physically and mentally fit and considered employable
- Must not be eligible for any other cash program:
Adult recipients of the CalWORKs program who reach the 60-month lifetime limit may be eligible for GA only when all children in the household are 18 years of age or older pursuant to Assembly Bill 1542.
- Must not be an individual who is receiving aid under the CalWORKs program on behalf of an eligible child, and has been found to be either ineligible for aid, or whose needs are not otherwise taken into account in determining the amount of aid to the family due to the imposition of a sanction or penalty
- Must not have quit a job in the month of application
- Must not be an inmate of the Butte County Jail who is released on a work release program
- Must not be a person fleeing to avoid prosecution, or custody and confinement after conviction for a felony
- Must not be a person in violation of the conditions of his/her probation or parole imposed under federal law or the law of any state
- Must apply for Supplemental Security Income (SSI) if the disability is expected to last 12 months
- Must apply for any potentially available income
How To Get Help
Applicants requesting assistance must complete an application. The application process can be initiated by contacting us at one of the Butte Community Employment Centers. The applicant can ask for immediate help it he/she has little or no cash and needs emergency housing, food or utilities.
An interview with a worker will be scheduled to obtain facts and verify eligibility. Applicants must provide the County with proof of income and property, citizenship status, age, social security number, shelter costs or other information.
If an interpreter is needed please ask at the time an appointment is made so one can be made available for the interview. There is no cost to you for the services of an interpreter.